- The Herd Bulls : Predominately raised in our registered herd. Black Angus and Blak Simmentals are featured.
- The Cows & Replacements: We consider functional cows to be the success of any working cattle ranch. Our cows are here to produce beef, either directly, or indirectly through their daughters. The first black cows were purchased by Connie's Grandfather in 1948. 65 years and four generations later, the cow herd is straightbred black angus and producing a top quality product.
- The Steers: This healthy group of calves are available for the stocker and grasser market. Persued by repeat buyers!
- The Heifers: We select 30 to 45 straight-breds for our own herd and another dozen from the Simm sired group to sell as Breds. Heifers are offered as open replacements, in drafts of 10 head or larger and sorted as staright bred or F1 crosses.
- The Bred Heifers For Sale: A very select group of 10 to 12 Bred F1 [Black Simmental x Black Angus] Heifers were offered in 2012. These heifers were chosen by the same standards that we choose our own straight bred replacements. These fancy females are bred to a calving ease bull we have raised in our own purebred herd.
2013 - Celebrating 65 years of Black Angus Cattle
The commercial straight bred black angus cow herd consists of 400+ females. Included in the count, is the ranch holdings of Don and Connie, Darby and Sarah, Kalee and Benny plus Connie's parents; Alfred and Josephine Wardberg.
Three generations working together to continue the angus tradition which was established in 1948 by Connie's Grandparents.
Breeding . . . Calving
The cow herd remains to be 100% straightbred black Angus. While the 2013 breeding season marks the fourth season in which we will be covering approx. one-half the cow herd with Black Simmental bulls ~ all our replacements are selected from the Black Angus sired heifers.
Spring and Summer Management
Depending on spring conditions, winter feeding is continued until the pasture can offer green grass or carry over of last year's growth. The commercial herd is pasture calved. Calves are branded, vaccinated and castrated early June. Pairs are sorted - cows with steer calves go to different pasture than those with heifer calves. Our land base is spread out so weaning the feeder steer calves in the fall, is economically more efficient if the calves are all loaded at the same time and place. It also allows us to select the breed sires on a random group of cows each year.
The Angus sired calves carry the Canadian Angus Associations CACP (RFID) tags. Age verification available.
Fall and Winter Management ______
The steer and heifer calves are weaned onto a tubground bunk ration of silage, dryland hay & green feed bales with free-choice dryland hay, salt & mineral. Booster vaccinations are given. Bred heifers and the cowherd fall graze the stubble until conditions warrant ther winter ration of baled greenfeed and dryland hay/grass. Salt and mineral is offered free-choice, year a round.
About the Commercial
Black Angus Cattle Herd
Don and Connie Delorme & Families S Box 28, Robsart, Saskatchewan S0N 2G0 ~ Canada S Phone: ( 306 ) 299 - 4494 S Email
APHA, AQHA, South Shadow Angus + Paints, Delorme Livestock, SSAP Paint & Quarter Horses, southshadow.com, DelormeLivestock.com, PaintHorses.ca, DelormeAngus.ca, southshadowangus.ca
Visitors and Inquiries Always Welcome
Give us a call and stop by for a tour and visit.
Please do not hesitate to CONTACT US if you have further questions concerning our program.
June photo of the cow herd with Angus sired calves (green tags) and Simmental sired calves (orange tags) ... bull calves soon to be steers!
Late Winter, a few of the bulls sensing that spring is in the air!
The 27th annual offering of
will sell April 18, 2013 (day before our bull sale)
Delorme Livestock s South Shadow Angus, Paint & Quarter Horses
Registered and Commercial Black Angus Cattle
s Commercial Black Angus Cattle s
Above photo: Heading home from the Bench place for more pairs ~ gawd I hate this hill !!!